Dental braces are used for alignment or straightening of the teeth. They correct crowded, misaligned, or crooked teeth. While braces are generally used during adolescence, you can also wear them in your adult life to align your teeth and a better smile. You may be wondering how braces work to straighten your teeth. Well, braces provide alignment treatment by moving your teeth by exerting continual pressure on them for long periods. As the braces continue applying pressure to your teeth, the shape of your jaws also changes gradually. Most people think of their teeth as connected to their jawbones, which is why they can’t understand how braces change the jawbone structure. However, your teeth are rooted in your jaws because of a soft membrane just underneath the teeth. When pressure is applied to your teeth, these membranes respond to the pressure and move your teeth accordingly. Getting braces requires a very quick orthodontic treatment, and they can be installed in one or two hours.
What are the benefits of alignment or straightening of the teeth?
Most people in their adulthood seek orthodontic treatment for a beautiful smile. However, the benefits of alignment treatment go far beyond aesthetics. Alignment treatment can also improve your general oral health and help you prevent a lot of dental issues. The following are some advantages of alignment treatment.
- Easy to Clean Teeth: If you have crooked or overcrowded or misaligned teeth, you can’t clean them properly. Misaligned teeth will have hidden pockets that you can’t reach with your toothbrush, which will lead to the accumulation of plaque and tartar. Straightened and aligned teeth are a lot easier to clean because you can go over all of the surfaces properly and remove all the accumulated food particles. By ensuring you maintain clean teeth, orthodontic treatment also helps prevent periodontal disease.
- Self-Confidence: People often derive their confidence from their appearance. Your smile can transform your external appearance, which makes you more confident. People with crooked teeth often hide their smiles, which makes them come across as unapproachable. As such, orthodontic treatments can also improve your social and professional lives in general.
- Preventing Dental Issues: As mentioned previously, misaligned teeth are harder to clean and maintain, which is why they’re more prone to cavities. The continued accumulation of plaque and tartar leads to cavities and dental decay, which can lead to bacterial infection and periodontal disease.
- Prevent Jaw Issues: Misaligned or crooked teeth can also increase your risk of other types of jaw-related issues like TMJ and bruxism, which can lead to sustained jaw pains. Over time, the jaw pain may lead to headaches, ear and neck pains, and other bodily issues.
What is the best orthodontic treatment?
The following are the different types of orthodontic treatments:
- Clear Aligners like Invisalign: Clear Aligners, such as Invisalign, are widely considered to be the most effective and best orthodontic treatment available. Clear aligners are transparent molded thermoplastic aligners that you have to wear on your teeth. These aligners gradually apply pressure on your teeth to move them in the desired direction. During the process, the dentist will create a set of several clear aligners that you will have to move through after every two weeks. By the time you reach the final aligner, your teeth will be set in their correct location. Clear aligners are extremely comfortable, and they aren’t visible, which is one of the greatest advantages for adults.
- Traditional Braces: Braces are either metallic or ceramic brackets attached to your teeth and held in place by arch-wires and other fixtures. They are tightened to apply pressure to your teeth and move them in the desired direction. Your dentist will gradually continue tightening them throughout the treatment to move your teeth further in the right direction.
- Lingual Braces: These braces function just like traditional braces, but they are attached to the back of your teeth rather than the front. Because lingual braces sit behind your teeth, they’re invisible, even though they also include arch-wires and fixtures. They are also more expensive than traditional braces.
Does Invisalign work?
Yes, Invisalign does work, and it’s one of the most effective orthodontic treatments available. Invisalign braces gradually apply pressure on your teeth to move them in the desired direction. The dentist will order a set of Invisalign corresponding to different stages of your alignment treatment. After every two weeks, you’ll have to replace the Invisalign with the next set of Invisalign to continue moving your teeth. After the entire process, you’ll have to wear retainers to ensure your teeth stay in place and don’t revert to their original position.
How can Invisalign be used to fix overbites or underbites?
Invisalign can treat overbites and underbites as well. Depending on whether you have an overbite or an underbite, the Invisalign will apply more pressure on the necessary set of teeth, whether upper or lower arch of teeth. You should consult your dentist for a discussion of how they can treat your teeth specifically.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
The following are the primary benefits of Invisalign orthodontic treatment:
- Invisalign braces are some of the most comfortable alignment treatments available. They cause minimal pain or discomfort because there are no wires or brackets.
- They are invisible, which means you don’t have to worry about people looking at them.
- You can take them off during meals, so they don’t get stained. As such, you can enjoy your regular meals without fear of staining the braces.
- An average Invisalign orthodontic treatment concludes within 18 months, while traditional braces may last for four years.
- Invisalign braces can treat all kinds of orthodontic problems.
How much does Invisalign cost?
The Invisalign orthodontic treatment costs between $3,000 to $7,000. However, depending on your dental insurance, you may qualify for up to $3,000 insurance coverage. Please discuss the financial details with your orthodontic treatment dentist.
Schedule your Alignment Treatment Today
URBN Dental is one of the most reputable dental clinics in Houston, Texas. We have qualified dentists who examine your teeth and recommend the best alignment treatment for your needs. For more information, please schedule an appointment today.
Dental braces are used for alignment or straightening of the teeth. They correct crowded, misaligned, or crooked teeth. While braces are generally used during adolescence, you can also wear them in your adult life to align your teeth and a better smile. You may be wondering how braces work to straighten your teeth. Well, braces provide alignment treatment by moving your teeth by exerting continual pressure on them for long periods. As the braces continue applying pressure to your teeth, the shape of your jaws also changes gradually. In addition to traditional braces, you can also opt for other types of orthodontic treatments like clear aligners and lingual braces. We believe Invisalign is the best type of orthodontic treatment because it’s invisible, removable, and highly effective. URBN Dental is one of the most reputable dental clinics in Houston, Texas. We have qualified dentists who examine your teeth and recommend the best alignment treatment for your needs. For more information, please schedule an appointment today.